Sunday, November 14, 2010

"You Will Find Your Billy"

Actions speak louder than words.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been realizing just how important my actions are.  I have talked to several different teenagers in the youth group at my church and they have each said that something in particular in my life has impacted them in some way. During a conversation today at church is when it really hit me.  I am being watched by the teenagers that I work with whether in school or at church.  I can say anything I want to and talk until I am blue in the face, but my actions and how I live my life is what will really impact them in the long run.  I can tell them that they should not date until they are just a little older, that they need to have high expectations when it comes to relationships (i.e.that they shouldn't date the first guy to call them pretty), or that they don't need a guy to make them truly happy.  But it isn't until I tell them about myself and live it out in my life that they will truly listen.
I also came to the realization that I am their role model and to several of them I am the only positive role model they will have.  They value my opinion on what guys they should and should not date.  They want to know what to do with the friend that has hurt them.  They just want to know about life.  Now I am far from knowing everything there is to know about life.  In  my opinion I barely know anything, but I can offer what small amount of advice that I do have to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment