Thursday, November 4, 2010

So Much More...

Behind the Scenes (Francesca Battistelli)
You may think
I’m just fine
How could anything
Ever be out of line?
I take my time
To set the stage
To make sure everything
Is all in place
Even though I’ve got the lines rehearsed
A picture only paints a thousand words
Things aren’t always what they seem
You’re only seeing part of me
There’s more than you could ever know
Behind the scenes
I’m incomplete and I’m undone
But I suppose like everyone
There’s so much more that’s going on
Behind the scenes
There is so much going on inside of us or most of us that we do not actually reveal to other people.  Maybe we are afraid of their judgement, maybe it is our shame that keeps us from being honest.  But why do we think that putting up walls will make life any better?  Why is it okay for us to have surface level conversations?  Why can we talk about everything possible, but still miss out on talking about what is really going on deep inside of us?  I am not saying that this is true of all people, but it is definitely something that I have realized as a problem, especially being in my little "Roberts" bubble for four years.  It is something that I have struggled with.  I think that as Christians we have become so wrapped up in portraying ourselves as "perfect Christians"  who have everything in life put together so well that nothing could ever be out of place.  We have become so good at putting up a front that lets no one in any deeper than we want them.  We are good at saying "oh I'm fine" when really everything inside us just wants to curl up in a ball and forget about everything we are going through. We know all the right lines and take the time to make ourselves look perfect so that people will see only what we want them to see.  What they don't know is that beneath it all, there is so much more that is going on.  What if we all took the time to just get rid of the masks and stop rehearsing the lines to make ourselves look all put together all the time?  What if we were comfortable enough to just talk about everything that is going on "behind the scenes"?  We are all broken people who are constantly needing God to come and put us back together and heal our hurts.  Wouldn't it be awesome if we didn't always have to put up a front like everything is always okay?  What would happen if we let our guards down just a little to let someone in?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment