Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What do I know?

I have had the song What Do I Know of Holy? by Addison Road stuck in my head all week and just when I think it is gone, it comes on the radio again.  I absolutely love the lyrics, they really make me think.
Sooooo...What do I know of holy? I know that....
Holy is defined as exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness.  And I know that this is a hard term for us to grasp because we live in a broken world with broken people. 
I've made You promises a thousand times.  I've tried to hear from heaven, but I talk the whole time.  I think I made You too small. I've never feared You at all, no. If You touched my face would I know you?  Looked into my eyes could I behold You?
I can make a hundred promises to God to do better next time and as a human I fail miserably.  I can say that I really want to hear from God so I sit and try to be quiet for a few minutes, but after that few minutes is up I don't want to wait any longer.  I feel like I need to keep talking on and on as if God didn't hear me the first time.  He really just wants me to be still and know that He is God.  That is all that I have to do.  I don't have to give Him my list of requests and complaints every time I want to hear Him speak to me.  I simply just need to come to Him and He will come to me.  I think I made you too small....hmmm.  That so absolutely true.  I try to fit God into my understanding of who He is.  God is so much bigger than I could ever imagine.  I think of it like this...if I was looking through a telescope, I would only see a small portion of the sky, I would not be getting the bigger picture.  I do this with God.  I look at who He is and what He does with my small mind and understanding.  I don't think that I fully comprehend all that God is and does right now.  I don't think that I every will.  The chorus says it all.  What do I know of You, who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood, but the shore along Your ocean?  Are You fire, are You fury? Are You sacred, are You beautiful? So what do I know? What do I know of holy? 
Every time I hear the second line, "Where have I even stood, but the shore along Your ocean?", I think of my vacation this summer.  I was walking alone along the beach and just standing in awe of who God is.  I never really understood why this line was in the song but as I looked out into the ocean I really realized what this line was saying.  I saw how big the ocean was and how small I was standing next to it.  I realized that there is so much more in the world that I do not know and see.  I am small in comparison to the rest of the world, but God still knows who I am.  This chorus also makes me want to see more of who God is and start really learning more about the holiness of God. 
I guess I thought that I had You figured out.  I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about, how You were mighty to save. But those were only empty words on a page.  Then I caught a glimpse of who you might be.  The slightest hint of you brought me down to my knees.
Isn't it funny that when we grow up going to church all of our lives you just automatically learn all the Bible stories and learn all the right lines to say and explain yourself, but you never really understand the complexity of those stories.  You know that they really happened and God was working through all of them, but the fact that they are real life and not just stories tends to be forgotten.  You forget how powerful God is.  This summer while I was in the Dominican Republic is when I really caught a glimpse of who God might be.  I saw God work in my life and the lives of those that I worked with like never before.  I stood in awe almost every day of what God was doing.  I think that was really when I was brought down to my knees and humbled in the sight of God.  It was when all of the stories that I have read really hit home and they turned in to more than just empty words on a page.
I think that we need to strive to know more about God's holiness, because He has called us to be holy just as He is holy.  How can you be something you know little about?

1 comment: