I think I have some crazy dreams. My dreams have changed over the past several years. In high school, all I could imagine was becoming a teacher. Okay, so maybe that isn’t too crazy, but that was my dream, my goal. I wanted to get through school, get married, have a teaching job, have kids and own a house all by the time I turned 25. I wanted the American dream. Is that bad? No… I don’t think so. Now, I am teaching. I am not married. I do not have kids, nor do I own a home. Do I still want to get married? Yes, but I have time to enjoy being single. Do I want kids? Probably, just not anytime in the foreseeable future. Maybe 15 or 20 years down the road this will be the life I am living, but maybe not and I am okay with that.
God has taken my heart and shaped for me a new set of dreams. A set of big huge dreams that scare me to death. Dreams that would ask me to step out of my comfort zone and live life radically. My dreams are currently where my heart is. I struggle to live for today, knowing that God has put these things in my heart. I want to travel around the world and work with orphans and people that I have never met by going on the world race (theworldrace.org…I admit, I am slightly obsessed with the blog updates). I am really hoping that that would be a dream that God would have come true for me. If not, I am okay with whatever other plans he has because I know that His plans are bigger than anything that I could ever come up with on my own. During college, my friends and I came up with this crazy idea to open an orphanage. Lately, I have been asking myself why that is such a crazy idea. Because I don’t think it is. I think I serve a God big enough that we could actually do that. I plan on reading the book Kisses from Katie (but I do read her blog too), which is all about a girl who as an 18 year old started a non- profit ministry and is not the mother of 18 or so children. Yup I think that that is pretty awesome!
Do these dreams scare me? Heck yes! Most days I am excited about them. But sometime they scare me. I would have to become uncomfortable. I have to remember that I am not God. I cannot even begin to comprehend what He can do. In my small little mind, I have a million questions. How would I ever be able to afford any of this? How would I be capable of leaving everything in my comfortable world behind to live a radical life? Even now, I find myself figuring out how I can begin to save the money and find the resources to do this. I am a planner. God is telling me like he has told me hundreds of times before to just simply trust Him, have a little faith. Boy oh boy is that hard to do!
Recently I have been thinking about how comfortable my life has become. Truth is, the more that I live in my comfortable world the less and less content I become. I want to be a world changer and for now that means being a world changer in the place God has placed me and that is right here in Virginia. I know that I know that I know that this is where I am supposed to be and that this time in my life is preparing me for these even bigger dreams and I need to embrace it. I need to live my live for right now, but I can’t help but focus on my dreams either. I know that God will grant me the desires of my heart. He has put them here for a reason. He has broken my heart for the children living in poverty. He has broken my heart for people I haven’t even met. It is hard to explain but I love and miss people I haven’t even met. I read a quote the other day that said “If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders.” This sums up how I feel perfectly. My heart is already with my future, with the people I have yet to meet and serve. My prayer is that He would continue to shape these dreams until they become my reality. If we didn’t have crazy dreams, nothing would ever happen. What about you? What are some of your dreams that scare you? What would happen if you took a leap of faith and trusted God to make your dreams come true? It is never too late! He gave dreams to us for a reason! People may think you are crazy. I am sure some of you think I am crazy, but I am 100% okay with that.


No comments:
Post a Comment