Happy New Year! Along with the new year comes resolutions for what we want to change in the upcoming year. I for one am terrible at keeping them. I set them and keep them maybe for a week and then I break them and give up. This year I only have one resolution that I hope to keep. I want to read my Bible from start to finish. It is something that I have never done. I am 21 and have not finished the Bible in its entirety.
I just returned from chaperoning Joshua Revolution, a three day youth conference. It had worship and speakers to challenge you as well as seminars to help you grow. While my youth were busy getting student training, I had the opportunity to attend youth workers training. I learned a lot and wish I could have attended more. I was able to hear Mark Cahill speak about youth and why they are walking away from their faith when they go to college. I won't get into a lot of detail about that now, maybe later. Mark Cahill focuses on evangelizing and reaching the lost for Jesus. The youth loved him when he spoke at the main session. During the session I attended, he was talking about youth leaders and how it is so important that we be knowledgeable on the scripture and on modern day issues in the church. Youth are not seeing enough Bible teaching in youth group because many youth groups focus on entertaining. We were given a quiz on different speeches given by famous people and we needed to identify what was in contradiction to what the Bible says and then identify a scripture to back it up. Many of us could not do it. This is where my new years resolution comes from. I want to be able to give answers and know what I am talking about, better than I do now. I owe it to the youth I work with and the people that I come into contact with to have this understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment