I am going to take the next couple of minutes to rant to you, if that is okay. If not you might want to stop reading.
This past Sunday I went to the same church that I have been attending for the past year and a half or so while I am at school. I don't really know a ton of people there, but I go to the earlier service and am content with who I do talk to. On Sunday I decided to go to the later service so I could sleep in. I had a very interesting conversation with the lady sitting ahead of me. She moved down in her pew to talk to me. I was extremely annoyed by it. It went something like this.
Lady: Good Morning...It is so nice to see you here. Are you a regular attender?
Me: Good morning and no. I am only here when I am at school.
Lady: At Brockport?
Me: No, Roberts.
Lady: Do you go to a Free Methodist Church at home?
Me: No, I I go to a Baptist church
Lady: Oh (Looking at me like I have three heads), so which do you like better isn't this one better and normal?
Me: (wondering what she means by normal) No, the services are pretty much the same
Lady: (still with a strange look on her face) Well are you aware that there is a really good free methodist church right on your campus.
Me: Um, yes but I like this one.
Now what is wrong with this interaction? Did I have a right to be annoyed? I think so. I mean let's go back to the simple question from childhood...What Would Jesus Do? Would He try to get me to go to another church? I think not. I can honestly say that if it was my first time visiting, I probably wouldn't have gone back. What gives her the right to judge me based on my denominational background? At least that is the impression she gave. Since coming to college, I have realized how wrapped up people are in their denomination. I never realized it before. I have gotten into countless dumb debates over denominations that I have never cared to be in in the first place. I think that if we all worship the same God, what difference does it make? We all have preferences, but do you really have to push your denomination on someone or push someone out of your church simply based on the difference?
End of Rant
Oh and if you have a topic that you want me to blog about, let me know and I will see what I can do!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment